You are here
Almost all outreach coordination is completed by Dr. Mary Ann Huntley, please contact her for more information or help, unless a program has another point of contact listed.
Dr. Mary Ann Huntley
Director of Mathematics Outreach and K-12 Education Activities
We assist mathematics teachers and students at several local schools at all grades, with primary emphasis on the secondary level (grades 7–12).
MATH 5080: Mathematics for Secondary School Teachers
During each academic year we offer a series of four full-day workshops for secondary math teachers. Anyone interested in issues related to the teaching and learning of secondary mathematics is welcome to attend (e.g., teachers, prospective teachers, mathematics graduate and undergraduate students, and mathematicians). During workshop sessions participants examine principles underlying the content of the secondary school mathematics curriculum, including connections with the history of mathematics, technology, and mathematics education research. Participation at one workshop is not prerequisite to attending another.
Faculty Research and Curriculum Development
- Professor Emeritus David Henderson continues to work with teachers across the country on experiential-based geometry curricular materials through two NSF-supported projects: The Algebra Project (grades 8-12), and Understanding Space Through Engineering Design (USTED), a grades K-5 development project based at Vanderbilt University. In 2016, he joined a research project “Function Learning Progressions,” funded by an NSF Discovery Research K-12 grant jointly to the Educational Testing Service and the Algebra Project. For more detail about Henderson’s work with schools, visit www.math.cornell.edu/~henderson/AP/.
- Mary Ann Huntley and Maria Terrell are investigating the content of the algebra strand of six commercially-available high-school textbook series. This research was originally supported by a grant from the National Science Foundation (Award #090131). Dick Furnas provides statistical analysis on the large datasets produced by the project.
- Mary Ann Huntley is co-editor of the Information Age Publishing book series, Research in Mathematics Education.
- Daina Taimina gives talks in schools, colleges, and MoMath, to promote math and art, history of math, and hyperbolic geometry. Also, Taimina is on the speaker list for Celebration of Mind http://www.celebrationofmind.org/featured-presenters
- Beverly West continues active Board involvement with the NSF-funded Consortium for Ordinary Differential Equations Educators (CODEE), of which Cornell was a charter leadership member in the early 1990s. The group holds workshops and hosts sessions at national meetings to assist colleagues in the empowering revolution afforded by computer graphics.
E-Newsletter for Teachers
Mary Ann Huntley maintains an electronic mailing list for disseminating information to teachers about upcoming mathematics education events at Cornell, professional development offerings, and other news related to mathematics education. To be added to the electronic mailing list, please e-mail your contact information to Mary Ann.