History of the Cornell Mathematics Department
You are here
Mathematics has been an important part of Cornell from the University's beginnings 150 years ago. These pages tell about the history of the Department of Mathematics, its students, and its faculty.
- 150 Years in a Nutshell, a brief summary of the Department's history.
- Department Chairs from 1868 to the present time.
- Celebrating Mathematics Majors Men and women who studied mathematics as Cornell undergraduates.
- Noteworthy Graduate Students - Selected individuals who earned advanced degrees in mathematics at Cornell
- Noteworthy faculty members from 1868 through 1978.
- Women have been part of the Mathematics faculty at Cornell since 1917.
- Cornell Faculty and former graduate students at the International Congress of Mathematicians.
- The history of the Oliver Club.
- Sesquicentennial Historical Notes:
- About Ernst Ritter, who died in 1895 while en route to Cornell.