Undergraduate Homework Grader Positions
You are here
Undergraduate graders are sought for several entry-level MATH courses, particularly:
- MATH 1105: Finite Mathematics for the Life and Social Sciences (fall only)
- MATH 1340: Mathematics and Politics (spring only)
- MATH 1710: Statistical Theory and Application in the Real World
Graders may also be needed for one or more courses in the engineering calculus sequence (MATH 1910-1920-2930-2940) or for the occasional 3000-/4000-level course, but this is less certain. (See the undergraduate course assistant positions if you are interested in grading Calculus I or Calculus II.)
- Comprehensive, precise grading of weekly assignments.
- Accurate record keeping.
- Prompt return of assignments to the course instructor.
The undergraduate positions of tutor, course assistant, and grader follow a two-tier pay system. Effective January 1, 2018, new hires will be paid $11.00/hour, and the pay rate will increase to $11.50/hour after two semesters of employment for the Mathematics Department (not necessarily consecutive or in the same position).
Jobs are in demand and fill quickly. To receive early consideration, please submit your application by early March for the fall semester or mid November for the spring semester. Job offers are made one semester at a time with no guarantee of future employment. If you receive an offer (by e-mail), respond as soon as possible to accept (or decline). When a position opens up, we hire the first qualified applicant we can reach. Therefore, it is imperative that you keep your contact information current and check your email regularly.
Information for New Hires
- If you have never been a Cornell student employee before, you must complete an I-9 Employment Eligibility Form before you can begin work. Fill out Section 1 and bring the form along with the original accepted documents (listed on the last page) to Heather Peterson in 310 Malott Hall.
- Immediately contact your course instructor to discuss his/her expectations and preferred deadlines.
- Pick up the textbook(s) for your course from Mikki in 310A Malott Hall (and don't forget to return it at the end of the semester).
Paychecks and Time Reporting
This position is subject to the Non-exempt Biweekly Payroll Calendar. Report your time using KRONOS by noon on each pay period end date. Payroll Services will issue your paycheck on alternate Thursdays to the home address provided by you through Student Center. (Under Contact Information, click the "Home" link to edit your address.) To avoid lost, stolen, or delayed paychecks, sign up for Direct Deposit.
Contact Heather Peterson (email@example.com) if you have any questions. Payroll Services has some very useful links.