arrow grid linear view icon
The College of Arts Sciences

Pre-enrollment Guide

You are here


Having difficulty adding or changing a math class? Please read on to learn about enrollment restrictions, what to do when a class is full, and who to contact for help. Course instructors can not give you permission to enroll unless the course is listed in the catalog as “permission of instructor.”

For guidance in selecting an appropriate entry-level course, please consult First Steps in Math, your faculty advisor, or director of undergraduate studies Xiaodong Cao.

Pre-enrollment Calendar

Spring 2018 Class Standing Pre-enrollment Period
Graduate students Wednesday, October 25 – Friday, October 27
Seniors Monday, October 30 – Wednesday, November 1
Juniors Wednesday, November 1 – Friday, November 3
Sophomores Monday, November 6 – Wednesday, November 8
Freshmen Wednesday, November 8 – Friday, November 10


Enrollment Restrictions

  • Pre-enrollment in MATH 1340 (Math and Politics) is restricted to Arts & Sciences students. We will accept up to 50 students/lecture. Any spaces that remain and those that open up due to drops will be made available to students in all colleges on a first-come first-served basis during the add/drop period.

  • Enrollment in MATH 1710 (Statistical Theory and Application in the Real World) is limited to 25 students per discussion. If you are unable to add MATH 1710, you might consider another introductory statistics class, such as AEM 2100, ILRST/STSCI 2100, or PAM 2100.

What to do when a Math class is full

If the section you want is full on Student Center and other sections are available, you may need to adjust the rest of your schedule to make room for an available math class, or you may need to reconsider taking an early morning, late afternoon, or evening class if they are available. If the entire course is full (and not listed above as restricted), the Math Department will likely raise the enrollment caps soon. Check Student Center again a little later. After half a day or so, if you still don’t find an opening, you should ask for help if the course is required for your degree.

Students make a lot of changes to their schedules during the early part of the add/drop period in January. Sections may open and close several times due to adds and drops. If you are interested in a specific time that is currently closed, you may find an opening if you check several times throughout the add/drop period.

Who to contact for pre-enrollment help

Contact Heather Peterson for assistance with 1000-/2000-level courses or Michelle Klinger for assistance with 3000-level courses and above. If you send email, please include your name, college, class standing, and any other details you think may help us prioritize your request.

The Mathematics Department will assist you if you are unable to resolve a conflict between a required math course and another required course for your degree; however, if changing your first-year writing seminar or PE class is possible and will resolve the conflict, then you should resolve the conflict on your own rather than seeking an accommodation for your math class.

Independent Study

Students who wish to take MATH 4900 (research) or MATH 4901 (reading course) must fill out an independent study form after meeting with the proposed faculty supervisor to discuss the goals and expectations of the project.